Bergundy

Monday, August 23, 2010

Excuse me! You have something on your face!

Have you ever gotten home from a particularly busy day at work...or out running errands, or ministering at church only to find that the amazing lunch you had has made itself known to everyone you meet. Each person you have spoken to...or smiled at now knows that you had something fantastic with lots of spices in it! They smile, say hello, perhaps have a lengthy conversation with you and say NOTHING!!

How is possible to go through the entire day with a big huge hunk of food stuck between your two front teeth and no one has said a WORD!?

I was walking across campus this afternoon to get some lunch and I passed a young woman, probably around my own age. She was a bit heavier set, but dressed very nicely for her first day of classes. As I got closer to her, I noticed that the bottom button of her beautiful plumb blouse was undone, showing perhaps a bit more skin than she had anticipated. I casually walked past and thought, "Oh, poor girl!" But since I was a stranger, I did nothing, said nothing and simply walked on to get my lunch.

This got me thinking. What if that was ME?! What if I was the one walking across campus with my pooch hanging out? Wouldn't I want someone to stop and tell me? Wouldn't I be thankful for the stranger that cared enough about me to stop, be a bit embarrassed for a moment, but save me hours of humiliation?

I always thought I was the friend that could be counted on to tell someone if they had food in their teeth, a smudge on their face, lint on their backside. I think I am...but now, maybe I can become the stranger to do the same for those I don't even know.

That's my own personal challenge. I will be a friend to the stranger with food in her teeth!

Dear lady with the pretty purple top,
Your bottom button is undone. You might want to fix that!
Love, A caring stranger

PS- I'm sorry I didn't say something sooner!

1 comment:

  1. We've ALL been there! Zipper undone, toilet paper on the shoe, skirt tucked in your panty-hose, food in your teeth, button undone...the list could go on.
    I know I would be so grateful to a stranger for whispering to me "you have something on your face."
    In fact, I have once or twice told the stranger that she has toilet paper stuck to her shoe. No need to be embarassed...it happens to us all.
    How thankful I would be for someone to tell me too!

    ReplyDelete