Bergundy

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili

I brought leftovers to work today and I've been getting a lot of requests for the recipe. I don't have any pictures (sorry!), but you get the idea. Thanks mom for the recipe! :)

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
28oz can of diced tomatoes with chilies
14oz can of black beans
14oz can of kidney beans (I used great northern because that's what I had)
10oz bag of frozen corn (you could probably cut down on the amount if you're watching carbs)
8oz can of tomato sauce
1 large Onion, chopped
1 packet taco seasoning
1 T. cumin
1 T. chili powder
chili peppers, chopped (optional)
chopped fresh cilantro
Combine diced tomatoes, beans, onion, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. (Basically, put everything except the cilantro in the crock pot)  Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream (extra points).

Makes 10, 1 1/4 c servings

We used fat free shredded cheddar cheese and a little sour cream and it was delish! If you like cilantro...don't skip this ingredient. It adds so much flavor!

** A side note on slow cookers. Not all slow cookers cook at the same rate. I recently learned that I'd been cooking all of my stuff WAY too long. Larger slow cookers cook hotter, and therefore faster. So...start off with the lowest amount of time if you're using a larger cooker. Trust me, your tummy will love you for not giving it overcooked/slightly burnt/off tasting crock pot food! :)

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites too and SO easy! Definatly a good low carb / no bread kind of meal. Try LaTortilla Factory Smart & delicious Low Care / High Fiber Tortilla's if you're at a place where you just have to do something a little different. I think they are only 2 or 3 carbs each. They'd work great for a quick dinner filled with beans, FF Cheese and salsa. Side of Broccoli Slaw or soup.

    You've circled this mountian long enough! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just but this in the crockpot...I can't wait to try it tonight for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How'd it come out, Michele? I'm still eating leftovers. It's on the menu for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I am going to have to try this. I love the crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, it came out AWESOME! The kids didn't like it much because it was spicy. But Jeremy and I really enjoyed it. I shared some with Lin and Dan too. It really makes a lot. Thanks for sharing your recipe; I'll be making it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! That's interesting that it was spicy. I actually added something to make mine spicier! (Mike's rubbing off on me) I'm guessing it's from the taco seasoning. I wonder if there's a way to make it less spicy for the kiddos...

    ReplyDelete